The sous vide BLT is really all about the tomato so this is a summer recipe for the times when tomatoes at the farmer’s market are at their peak. Don’t even think about using tomatoes from your local store unless they are heirloom varieties or fully ripe beefsteak tomatoes. The rest of the setup, including the sous vide bacon, is just to complement the tomato so don’t go over the top with something ridiculous like a bacon weave.
See the video on YouTube and subscribe so you won’t miss any recipes.
The sous vide BLT is a superior version of the familiar sandwich because sous vide bacon is very moist and tender. If you want the edges crispy, you can give the cooked bacon a quick sear (about 30 seconds per side) in a hot pan after it comes out of the sous vide. And the really easy part is that you can drop the whole package of bacon into the sous vide and let it cook overnight. It will change the way you cook bacon forever.
Use good quality ingredients like whole wheat panini bread and the homemade mayonnaise from my banh mi recipe. You will want to toast the inside surfaces of your bread so the wet ingredients don’t make the bread soggy. I only used two pieces of bacon for my sandwich so that the tomato could really stand out.
- 1 package thick-cut bacon
- 4 slices of country bread
- ½ pound ripe heirloom tomatoes
- 2 large leaves of Bibb lettuce
- Heat a sous vide water bath to 63°C and cook the unopened package of bacon in it overnight (8 hours or more). Remove cooked bacon from bag and cook on medium-high in a dry pan 30 seconds each side to color the bacon and add some crispiness. Freeze extra bacon for later use.
- Slice the tomato horizontally into ½-inch thick slices with a sharp, serrated knife so juices don't get squeezed out.
- Toast the bread on the inside surfaces and then spread mayonnaise on them. Place tomato slices on the bottom piece of bread and season them with salt and pepper.
- Place bacon on top of the tomato slices and then place lettuce on top of bacon. Close the sandwiches with the top bread slices and cut into halves to serve.